In Lithuanias southwest, on the bank of the Jura river, a tributary of the Nemunas, and by the Konigsberg-Riga highway already for several centuries there have lain a town nicely called by our ancestors Taurage.
- The name of Taurage is composed of two words: tauras (buffalo) and ragas (horn). It poetically reminds of this lands olden times.
- Old burial grounds, ancient settlements, mounds and archeological findings discoverer in them reveal that people have already inhabited these places since the time of Christ. In historical turns Taurage found itself between two Taurage found itself between two worlds: historical ethnic lands, different dialects, the Teutonic Order and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Catholicism and Reformation, and Prussia and the Russian Empire. Sometimes this land had to serve as a frontier dividing these worlds and at other times as a bridge uniting them. Consequently, this beautiful land, like a weather-beaten but unbroken pine by a big road, has acquired its singular and peculiar tinge.
- The Taurage land covers the area of 1,179 square kilometers. Its inhabitants number 55,860. Eight municipalities have been established there. The excellent geographical position of Taurage creates favorable conditions for businessmen, traders and holidaymakers, since there are only 120 km to the sea port of Klaipeda, 100 km to the Siauliai airport, 230 km to Riga and 180 km to Kaliningrad.
- A wonderful landscape, light and rich forests and rivers abounding in fish give many pleasant impressions to travelers and holidaymakers.
- Traditionally formed relations of friendship, businesslike cooperation and family lead to Germany, the United States, Canada and other countries. Such experience has also developed Taurages partner ties with the communities of the towns of Riedstadt of Germany and Sokoldal of Norway.
- Taurage and its community were greatly devastated by the Soviet occupation and World War II. The majority of its educated people were deported to Siberia, while the rest, trying to escape the alike fate, withdrew to the West. Genocide and repatriation destroyed numerous Jewish and German communities that had lived there for centuries.
- Currently, with 35,000 inhabitants, Taurage is the center of region and district. Not only administrative but also cultural and scientific establishments and industrial and trade enterprises are concentrated there. Believers of various denominations get on well and live in ecumenical concord.
- The people of Taurage are patiently overcoming the difficulties of historical changes and building their future with hope.
- You ere welcome to visit the hospitable land of Taurage.
From: Kviecia Taurages krastas. Vilnius, Atkula, 1997. Page: 31
Samogitian Cultural Association Editorial
Page updated 2014.07.31 .
Comments to: email@example.com