- None calls solemn meetings, doesnt gather any money for this, doesnt seek a sound to be heard far away.
- It is done what is sacred after parents command.
- The hat is taken of and it is gone silently farther.
- Heres Zemaitija."
(Professor C. Kudaba)
Numbers and Facts
Telsiai County Chiefs Administration:
- Zemaites str. 14, LT-5610 Telsiai, Lithuania
- Tel./fax (370 94) 51442
Telsiai County Business and Training Center:
- Zemaites str. 14, LT-5610 Telsiai, Lithuania
- Tel./fax (370 94) 53099
Zemaitija National Park:
- Tourism Information center, Plateliai, Plunge reg.
- Tel. (37018) 49231, fax (370 18) 51281
Varniai Regional Park:
- Oztakiai village, Varniai, Telsiai region
- Tel. (370 94) 42596, 47415
In the Telsiai County
- From ancient times Zemaiciai were brave defenders of their land, who had courage, persistence and respect to their ancestors. Today all speak in Zemaiciai dialect, live under that cultural spirit, which was given by history, they like the old dishes of Zemaiciai.
- Telsiai county joining three regions Telsiai, Plunge, Mazeikiai, is active in Republic's economical and cultural life.
- There are 29 big industrial enterprises in the county. Joint-stock companies Mazeikiu Nafta, Zemaitijos Pienas are the biggest ones not only in Lithuania, but in Latvia and Estonia too.
- The companies produce textile, knitted garments, leather, art and furniture articles. There are a lot of construction organizations in the county, but food, building materials and oil processing industry is dominating. Such joint-stock companies as Eliuda, Zemaitijos keliai, Telsoda, Linu audiniai, Litoda, Plunges Grudai, Ingman-Vega, Mazeikiu Pienine, Uotas are known not only in Lithuania, but abroad too.
- Telsiai county is the land of agriculture and cattle-breeding. There are 217,3 thousand ha soil suitable for cultivator and 172,9 thousand ha of it is being ploughed. The land of private husbandry covers 109 thousand ha.
- In the county as everywhere in Lithuania, predominate private husbandry and agriculture companies, accordingly 7762 and 60. The farmers grow cattle and traditional crops as ryes, wheat's, barley, potatoes.
- People in the county begin growing non traditional agriculture crops and cattle. Some of them start other business as growing berries, mushrooms, medical herbs, fish and other water fauna. They wattle of thin twigs, make handicrafts, process agriculture production and develop country tourism.
- There are 199 educational institutions in the county: 4 gymnasiums, 41 secondary schools, 32 pre-school institutions, 16 extra training, 3 special schools, 2 children houses, 7 manual training schools.
- Telsiai higher school of applied art, priests seminary, Rietavas higher agriculture school make Telsiai county more known.
- The children of the county attend supplementary schools as music, sports, art and take part in various extra-curricular activities (clubs, societies). They learn folk songs and dances, ball-room dances, parachute-jumping. The children take part in republic contests of exact sciences and the humanities where they take prizes and make our county famous.
- The county has and its cultural life. There are a lot of international festivals as folklore one Er paauga zale leipa, comedies festival Cha-cha-cha, childrens folklore festival As pasiejau veina popa in Telsiai, brass band festival, folklore festival Saulele raudona in Plunge, brass band, songs and dances, trade festival in Mazeikiai. A lot of festivals are organized not only by urban people but by country people too.
- Such monuments as Telsiai old city, Cathedral, Varniai St. Alexander and St. Peter and Paul churches, Telsiai Bernardins monastery, Plunge and Rietavas, Renavas and Plinkses estates-steeds ensembles, Seda, Berzoras churches ensembles, Small Bazilika of Zemaiciu Kalvarija, with statues of much troubles amaze us with their historic value, beauty and majesty.
- Tourists are interested in Zemaiciai Museum Alka, Countryside Museum, Zemaiciai Art Museum, Mazeikiai Museum of regional study, Exposition of Lithuanian Art Museum in Renavas Estate, Militaristic Museum in the territory where was a secret base of thermonuclear rockets, writers Zemaite, Satrijos Ragana, poet Vytautas Macernis, Juozas Vaickus, the theatre founder, memorial museums.
- We hope that such museums as bishopric and Shrovetide which are being established in Lithuania will attract peoples attention.
- We are rich in our history, cultural values and ancestors customs.
- You are welcome to us, you are welcome to co-operate in all spheres-business, culture, sports. We want to make you as rich as we are.Region
From the publication Telsiai County. Klaipeda, 1998
Samogitian Cultural Association Editorial
Page updated 2014.07.31 .
Comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org